Sunday, August 31, 2008

Still Tweaking...

(aka lolcats)
Okay, so it's not all smooth-sailing with the new insulin! I've still got some adjusting to do...

Yesterday, I was totally jonesin' for German Food. Yes, I know, not many people wake up with an insane desire for wienerschnitzel and rotkohl - but I inherited my dad's tastebuds (he was stationed in Germany during WWII, BTW). Lucky for me, we actually *do* have a German restaurant in downtown San Jose http://www.teskes-germania.com/. It's both authentic (one of Roger's friends, who'd visited us from Germany, gave it her "Seal of Approval") and expensive (Ohhhh yeah!). So, again, lucky for me - the "urge" for German Food only strikes a couple of times a year!

Oh, and yes, once I actually attempted to make an authentic German Dinner at home. Talk about a TON of work! And it made one HELLUVA mess! (I've got the jpgs of "Hiroshima, after the bombing!" - Excuse me, "Our kitchen, after the feast!" buried on a CD someplace...).

After that experience, I decided that the food tastes MUCH better when one just hands over some cash!

Anyway, we drove up to Teske's and found they were having an authentic german Sommerfest Celebration - complete with lederhosen-wearing Live Polka Band! Yes, they even had an accordion! In fact, the restaurant was PACKED, and several of the patrons were even dressed up - including an attractive blonde in a mini-skirted dirndl (Think "St. Pauli Girl"). Had to glare at Rog when he started "appreciating" her a bit too much! ;-)~~

It really was kind of a hoot, actually!

So we each had german salad (lettuce, tomato, kraut, beans, and tomato tossed in some kinda oil/vinegar dressing), wienerschnitzel (veal, pounded thin, breaded and fried, served w/fresh lemon), german potato salad, and I'd ordered a side of rotkohl (red cabbage and apple - kinda like a sweet, dark-red version of sauerkraut). Oh, and apple streudel for dessert (well, of course!). It turned out to be a LOT of food! And soooo good, we just couldn't leave any of it behind!!!

I did dose myself w/Novolog prior to eating - but evidently, I under-guesstimated my insulin requirements (Oooooops!).

To be fair, I've never had to "predict" my insulin requirements before - b/c I always dosed "after the fact." In some ways, doing it afterwards is easier - but it's definitely not the most effective approach because the objective is to never have BG rise over 140.

So I still have a "learning curve" to get through...

Anyway, after dinner, my BG was up over 240 (Ouch!!!), and I was feeling all sweaty, and slow-mo, and zombie-like, and generally - well, sick!

And the fact that I'd *just* dosed myself before eating, meant I couldn't hit myself again :::sigh::: (Novolog takes 3-4 hours to work itself out of your system - and double-dosing within that time-frame could have adverse results).

As soon as I was able, I did dose myself again, and I did manage to drop back to the 190's - which is where I'm at least able to "function" (although still far from ideal).

Since I ended up "holding" in the over-200 realm for several hours, the damage had been done.

And I'm *still* paying for it today! :::sigh:::

I figure I ate about 1000 calories - 85g (or 1/3 of the calories) were carbohydrates - for dinner. And that is hell-and-gone from what I'd normally eat at one sitting.

Actually, I fubar'd in a couple of ways last night. First off - I didn't have my PDA with me (I have a Diet Program on my PDA that has the entire USDA Nutritional Database loaded on it - so I can pretty much "scrawl-in" any kinda food to get a good ballpark estimate of calories/fat/carbs/protein), and Secondly - I allowed myself to eat 'til I was stuffed (something I never EVER do!). And yes, I *did* have dessert - so that's a pretty big sin, too!

But OTOH, I do want to be able to allow myself to "indulge" every once in awhile... I just need to figure out how to do it without turning into a complete Zombie!

So now I need to learn how to "predict" my insulin requirements so I can prevent this from happening again. In other words, learn how to be a "normal" diabetic. Hmmmm...

I mean, it sux to "pay" for two days for dining indiscretions!!!

Oh, well! I think, in this case, I'm gonna say it was "worth it!" (But I've got a strong twinge of "Never Again" kickin'!)

No comments:

 


View my page on Meet the Phlockers