Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Where does one begin???


I've never had an honest-to-gawd blog before, so I have no clue where to begin.

I'm 45 years old (ugh!), so to "Begin at the Beginning" could prove to be rather onerous!

But I suppose some sort of "intro" is in order. I'm Nancy aka IMQTPI. I used to be active on the rec.boats newsgroup many moons ago (I lived aboard a Cabin Cruiser on the San Francisco Bay for six years). My homepage IMQTPI's HomePage yaks about that.

In 2001, I met "Mr Right," and he dragged me (kicking and screaming) back to Terra Firma. No, not really! And I've acclimated rather nicely to having things like endless hot showers, being able to run multiple appliances simultaneously, having closets, a garage and a really cool yard. Anyway, we got married in 2002, and now I live in South San Jose - where summers are SUPER warm. Back on the boat, I considered 70* to be a hot day! Now I'm happiest when temps are in the mid 90*'s. In fact, occasionally we'll make a trek up to "The City" (SanFran) for a concert or whatever. It'll be summertime down here, but we hit this freakin' fog bank up around Daly City and I'm shivering my butt off! "Man, I can't believe I used to LIVE in this!"

Oh. Hell. I probably should've put in some "disclaimer" up-front that I can be a tad verbose! (If you've been to my website, you'll already know that!) But I like to think I can put a pretty amusing "spin" on stuff. There's plenty of dreck out there in Blog-Land, I'm sure. At least I can take pride in displaying a modicum of intelligence since I *can* spell and punctuate with "reasonable accuracy." (Typographical errors are another matter entirely!)

Anyway... Umm... Where was I? Oh yeah, yakking about "me!"

So yeah, we live in South San Jose in your typical 70's-vintage ranch house, in your typical 70's-vintage housing development. It's a quiet, working class neighborhood. The house isn't anything spectacular - 2BR/1BA, 1200 SF. It's pretty nondescript from out front and, well, the interior could use some *serious* updating! But what the hell - just OWNING a house in the Bay Area is a major accomplishment (and that was DH Roger's accomplishment). Even with the excrement making dramatic contact with the rotating blades, we *do* still have equity - Yay! And the best part about the house is the fact that we're on a 1/4 acre, pie-shaped lot. Looking at the house from the front, you'd never have any idea what was behind it. We put a pool in - in late 2002/early 2003, and I tried my hand at landscaping. The results can be found on my webpage as well (Gawd, I hope the link shows up! If not, I'll come back and edit it!). We have a really nice Private Tropical Resort and I love it!

So - just so you know - I'm wearing a damp swimsuit right now, sitting at my poolside Tiki-Bar, blogging via laptop on the home WiFi. Sucks to be me! ;-)

Hmmm... Only thing missing is "Tunes!" Hang on...

Okay, I'm back! Had to find the mp3 player w/my "Vacation Compilation" (Reggae + Latin + Calypso + Jimmy Buffett). I've got it hooked up to my El-Cheapo Boom-Box now. I also changed out of the damp swimsuit (it was getting sticky!).

So yeah, I love the yard. Love the pool. Love the landscaping and I'll admit I'm a bit proud of the fact that I did almost-all of it myself. From designing the pool and overseeing the actual "dig!" To planning - and overseeing - the hardscaping. And doing virtually all of the landscaping (except for the lawn - that was Roger's Realm - and the Cypress Trees were already here).

I'm especially happy that the vast majority of the plants are perennials and most seem to be thriving. That wasn't exactly planned explicitly - but it's turned out really well. Particularly since I've not been able to devote as much time/energy to the yard as I'd like this year (health issues - I'll try not to whine about THAT!), but it still looks mighty damned nice...

Those weeds that do manage to survive are just "part of the tropical wild-rainforest-vibe!" (That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!).

Okay, here's the Direct Link to my Garden Page (Not my "Home" homepage, but I believe there's a link back to that from the Garden page): IMQTPI's Garden Page

Yep - I'm definitely a "Summer Person."

Okay, that's enough yammering for one day!

We'll see where this thing goes...............................

No comments:

 


View my page on Meet the Phlockers