Tuesday, August 19, 2008

DINKS have more fun...




DINK, for those unfamiliar with the term, is the acronym for Double Income, No Kids.

And Rog and I definitely fit into that demographic.

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against kids - it's just that I never felt an overwhelming urge to procreate. In fact, I used to be fond of saying "The battery in my biological clock died, and I was too cheap to replace it!"

Seriously though. Rog and I met pretty late in life. Neither of us had been married before (one would *think* that equates to "No Baggage!" But let's not go there, okay?!). I'm now in my mid-40's and Rog is in his 50's, so this seems a little late to be "starting" a family.

Add to that the fact that, in the Bay Area, you NEED two incomes "just" to make the mortgage payment... And the fact that I can't see myself allowing someone else to "raise my kids" (or worse, have 'em running loose w/o supervision when they got older). I'd insist on being a "Stay-At-Home" mom (which would probably drive me abso-freaking-lutely insane within a matter of days, I'm sure!), and I can't see Rog wanting to work until he's well-into his 70's to support everybody..!

Plus, kids are EXPENSIVE!!!

(And I've seen the "dynamic" around here with the dogs - our "quasi-kids." Papa is all about "Fun" and Mom gets to be the Evil Dictator. I'm not so sure that's how I'd want real kids to be raised!)

So, bottom line: We chose to forgo kids. Yeah, there may come a point - in our Golden Years - where we'll regret that decision, but "It is what it is."

(Had we met earlier in life... Well, woulda-coulda-shoulda... Actually, had we met earlier in life, we probably wouldn't have hit it off at all! So 'woulda-coulda-shoulda' becomes somewhat moot.)

The Downside is: We are in a strange "niche" b/c most folks our age do have kids. If they're school-aged, then the parents' lives' revolve around their offspring ("Soccer Practice, Ballet Class, Piano Lessons, Etc."). If they're adults, then it's all about the Grandkids... So, right out the chute, we don't have much in common with other folks our age. Maybe in a year or so, we'll fit in better with some of the Empty Nesters. Or maybe not.

But the Plus Side is: We do manage to have plenty of fun. No kids leaves more disposable income for "us." So we do have our toys... The "Tropical Resort" yard, a couple-three Harleys, a couple of sportscars...

And we do manage to take at least one decent vacation per year. Most years, it's a week at some midrange "All-Inclusive" in Mexico. This year, it was a motorcycle-themed Mexican Riviera Cruise: The Hogs on the High Seas Rally (http://www.hogsonthehighseas.com/). Seems like we do take most of our vacations in Mexico - but that's mostly because I'm "cheap!" We've been to Puerto Vallarta, Cabo San Lucas, Cozumel, Mazatlan...

We honeymooned in Jamaica, and took a Western Caribbean Cruise several years ago. And, one year, I'd bought us a package deal to Honolulu, Hawaii - as a surprise Christmas Gift for Rog (HA! I'd dressed Tazz up in a hula-skirt and lei - and tried to get her to deliver the envelope with the tickets. That didn't work out too well!).

Anyway, I'm satisfied with the decision we've made re: children. We've built a good, comfortable life that allows us to enjoy ourselves without having to "do without" or otherwise "scrape by." That's not to say we're "rich!" We do live within our means (and, of late, that's become increasingly difficult, actually).

But if we had a couple of extra mouths to feed (and orthodontia to face, and school clothes to buy, and college funds to save for, etc. etc. etc.), I think our lifestyles would have to change, dramatically...........

All things considered, I'd have to say I have no complaints - and this is just sort of my way of "counting my blessings" (in a sense!). Nahhh, Life overall, is pretty good, I'd say!

No comments:

 


View my page on Meet the Phlockers