Sunday, July 29, 2012

Recipe: Oatmeal + Bran Muffins

Quick!  Write it down before you forget!!!

QT's High-Fiber / Low Sugar Oatmeal Bran Muffins
Yield: 12 muffins

Ingredients:

  • 1 cup quick-cook (not "Instant") oatmeal
  • 1 cup wheat bran
  • 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
  • 1/2 cup Splenda brown-sugar blend (+/- to suit your tastes)
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1/4 cup heavy cream (or substitute 1/2-3/4 cup milk for water & cream)
  • 1 TBS olive oil (or substitute softened butter or margarine)
  • couple-shakes of cinnamon (maybe 1/4 tsp?)
  • shake of salt
  • handful of chopped dates (optional)
  • handful of chopped pecans (optional)
  • handful of currants or raisins (optional)
Instructions:
  1. Preheat oven to 375
  2. Dump everything in a bowl and mix well.  Taste and adjust sweetness to your liking (Remember, I don't like super-sweet)
  3. Spoon into muffin cups to appx 2/3 full
  4. Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden brown
  5. Let cool, a bit, before serving...
Serve warm-ish with a shmear of cream cheese and a dollop of Low-Sugar Carrot Cake Jam.  

I don't think I can call this truly Low-Carb (what with the dates and currants), but it's not too terribly awful for the blood sugar (I hope!  I am slightly hypoglycemic as I type this!)

Pictures coming...........................

Yummm!

Definitely not Light 'n Fluffy - but they do taste damned good!

Post-Script:  Yeah, this is definitely a "solid" muffin!  Or maybe "hearty" is the word!  Granted, bran muffins are not known for their Light'N Fluffiness, and it's not like you could actually break a window with them, but I think I'd like to figure out a way to cut-back on the "heartiness!"  Any suggestions?  I'm thinkin' dial-back the bran and maybe bump-up the flour?  I dunno...

Anyway, they were still good the next morning, nuked for 20 seconds.  A shmear of cream-cheese on top is delightful and, of course, the carrot-cake jam is The Bomb! But even *just* cream cheese was very tasty.

So Bottom Line:  Flavor was "right on the money" - but I need to work a bit on "texture!" 

No comments:

 


View my page on Meet the Phlockers