Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Recipe: Apple Chips

Man, I *must* be feeling better! Three posts in one day???

Scary!

Okay, I still had quite a few apples leftover from the past couple of Farm-Share Deliveries. And I bought a bag of Granny Smiths at the grocery store. Figured I'd drag out my apple peeler/corer (from Santa) and food dehydrator (which has been gathering dust in the garage), and make a batch of Apple Chips!


"W-A-D: Weapons of Apple Destruction!"

Pretty simple, actually. The bowl contains 1 cup of water with 1 tablespoon of lemon juice (to prevent browning), and a tablespoon each of Sugar and Splenda, plus a teaspoon of ground cinnamon (to make 'em taste good!).

Peel and core the apple.
Then slice the apple in half so you get apple "crescents"
Toss the apple crescents in the water/lemon/sugar/cinnamon bowl for two minutes...

Make a minor mess
(Ooooh! Compost!!!)

Place the apple crescents on the dehydrator shelves
(make sure they don't overlap)

12 apples filled 6 shelves of the dehydrator...

Pop the lid on the dehydrator, turn it on and let 'er rip!

I popped 'em in at around 9:30pm. I'll probably rotate the shelves and, maybe, flip the slices over in the morning (ooh - just invert the shelves - duhhh!!!).

I figure it'll probably take 12-16 hours for the apples to get nice 'n crispy.

I'll report in, tomorrow!

No comments:

 


View my page on Meet the Phlockers