I actually feel kinda bad about the quantity of peaches that have ended up rotting on the ground this year - but "What're ya gonna do, right?!"
When I made my two batches of peach-jam, I had a few leftover nekkid peaches (which were left sitting in a bowl with a couple-three generous 'squirts' of bottled lemon juice). I was surprised at how *quickly* they took-on the color/consistency of "Canned Peaches" (ICK!). There is definitely something to be said for Freezer Jams (they really DO do a good job of retaining that "fresh-picked flavor!") - but I can't fill-up the freezer this year (Gonna buy a 4-H Pig next month!!! Story coming!!!).
Annnnnyyyyywaaaaaaayyyyyy... Not gonna ramble!
I did end-up pawning-off a couple of bags of fresh peaches to Grateful Neighbors (Yay!). And the rest were destined for Fresh Peach Pie!
Again, I mostly-followed a previous recipe for Blueberry-Peach Pie - only, this time, I made just ONE pie. And it was ALL peach:
QT's Low-Sugar Spicy Peach Pie
Yields: 1 x 9" deep-dish pie (double the recipe if you want more!)
- 6-7 good-sized peaches (I think it netted-out around 4-5 cups - after blanching, skinning, de-pitting and chopping)
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup + 1 TBS granulated Splenda
- 1 TBS bottled lemon juice
- 3 TBS Quick-cook Tapioca
- 1 heaping tsp ground cinnamon
- couple of shakes of "Pumpkin Pie Spice" (cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, allspice)
- couple shakes of salt
- 2 TBS softened butter
- Crust for 9" deep-dish pie
- 1 egg-white, beaten with a little water
- Sprinkling of coarse granulated sugar
- Pre-heat oven to 425*
- Remove crusts from refrigerator/freezer (if you're cheating, like me!)
- Blanch, peel and de-pit your peaches. See this post for detailed instructions. Chop the peaches into large-ish (3/4-1") chunks. Put the peach-chunks in a large-ish bowl.
- Mix up the dry ingredients in a dry bowl: Tapioca, sugar, Splenda, spices.
- Add the sweeteners/spices to the fruit and mix well.
- Combine one egg-white with a tsp of water. Mix well with a fork. Brush the bottom of your frozen pie-crust with the egg-white mixture.
- Dump your fruit/spice/sweetener mixture into the bottom crust. Heap-it up to no more than 3/4" above the top-edge of the bottom crust.
- Blorp some butter on top of the fruit-gloop.
- Dampen the outer-edges of the bottom crust with a finger dipped-in warm water.
- Add the top crust. Cut off any excess and seal the bottom+top crusts together with your fingers.
- Cut a vent hole in the center of the top crust, along with appx 8 vent "slits" in a radiating pattern, out from the center vent-hole.
- Brush top with egg-white/water mixture and dust with large-grain granulated sugar ("Clear Sprinkles" from the baking section of the grocery store)
- Place the completed pie on a foil-lined baking sheet and cook at 425* for appx 40 minutes until golden brown (depends on your oven temp.... Mine was in a Microwave/Convection oven and took 50 minutes).
- Allow to cool, thoroughly, before serving...
Serve with fresh whipping cream or vanilla ice cream. ENJOY!!!