Monday, March 5, 2012

Recipe: Leftover Apple-Spice Pork Stew

OMG - Two posts in one day???

Well, I wanted to "write this down" while it was still fresh in my head - so I'm not doing anybody any favors here!

So, a couple-three days ago, I made an Applesauce and Herb Crusted Pork Loin and it was good. It was a tad on the dry side (I'm still "getting to know" our new Kenmore Nuker/Convection oven), but it was still quite tasty.

The dryness did kinda deter any thoughts of sandwiches the next day, however. It was better on the first night, slathered in gravy!

Anyway, I still had appx half of the roast in the fridge and hated to see it go to waste (although I'm sure the dogs would have gladly helped!)

So I decided to Google "What to do with leftover pork tenderloin" (got a bunch of "Mexican Meal" ideas). Then I googled "Pork Stew" and stumbled onto a recipe for Harvest Pork Stew. That sounded intriguing because some of the "base" flavors were very similar to what I already had!

Okay then, I think we have a winner! Srsly - there is something about the flavor combination of pork + apple + rosemary (I *swear* it's the rosemary!), that is simply AMAZING!

I don't have exact measurements, this time around, and - as usual - I wandered way off-track when it came to the original recipe. It turned into another one of those "What do I have in the fridge?" frenzies. So, by all means, do the same thing! I think the main ingredients that I wouldn't swap out are the apples, applesauce and spices..

Here's what I ended up with:

QT's Leftover Apple-Spice Pork Stew

Ingredients:

  • Leftover pork tenderloin (appx 1 lb, maybe?) cut into spoon-sized chunks
  • 1 medium red onion, coarsely chopped
  • 1 clove fresh garlic, minced
  • 2 carrots, chopped into small chunks
  • 1 small turnip, chopped into smallish chunks (or use potatoes - whatever!)
  • 6 stalks of fresh asparagus, snapped into 1" chunks
  • 1 Granny Smith Apple, chopped into small chunks (I always screw up and chop my apples too coarsely - they take forEVER to cook down, so stick with small chunks!)
  • 2 cups (appx) broth (I used beef - since I already had an open carton, But chicken or veggie broth would be fine)
  • Leftover gravy (I had appx 1/2 cup left)
  • 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
  • 1 can of sliced mushrooms (or fresh, sauteed with the onions, would be even better)
  • Leftover mashed potatoes (probably appx 1/2 cup)
  • 1 tsp each of dried thyme, basil and rosemary
  • Olive oil (enough for the initial saute)
  • Splash of white cooking wine (to deglaze the pan)
  • Salt/Pepper to taste

Instructions
  1. Start out by lightly sauteeing the onions and garlic in olive oil on medium to medium-low heat - til translucent (but not brown).
  2. Toss in your "hard" veggies (carrots, turnips), and chopped apples. Continue to saute on medium heat to - hopefully - start the "softening" process.
  3. Add your asparagus (and fresh mushrooms, if you have 'em). Keep cooking, stirring constantly, til the softer veggies start to soften.
  4. Deglaze the pan with a splash of white wine.
  5. Add in the chopped leftover pork, broth, leftover gravy, applesauce and seasonings. Bring to a gentle boil, then turn heat down to "simmer."
  6. Simmer for appx 1 hour, 'til the hard veggies are tender.
  7. Stir in the leftover mashed potatoes (to help thicken the broth). You might also consider tossing in a couple Tbs of dried "Potato Buds" (Quick-cook mashed potatoes) to help thicken it, as well.
  8. You might also decide to toss in some frozen veggies (peas, corn, whatevers) near the end of cooking, if you want more colors/flavors. Personally, I think it's fine "As-Is!"
  9. Give it a taste, add salt/pepper if desired.
Serve and ENJOY!!!

All done!
Come to think of it, it is a little bland-looking, maybe some frozen peas would've kicked it up a notch!
It was still mighty tasty!

No comments:

 


View my page on Meet the Phlockers