Sunday, August 14, 2011

Banana Passion Fruit Jam Follow-up

Just a Quickie Post (no pics, even!), but I did want to "follow-up" the the Jammin' Post from yesterday.

I removed the rings from the jars today and pressed down on the lids. They didn't pop!

In fact, I decided to try the jam, today. We went sailing this morning/early-afternoon and I needed a sammich for lunch.

Peanut Butter and Banana Passion Fruit Jam - Yummmm!!!!

Opening the jar was *quite* the ordeal, so I think the Steam Canner did a mighty fine job of sealing 'em up! So yes, I will be using it again (and I hope I never manage to kill myself or my friends!). I did put a 6 month expiration date on the jars - just to play it safe. And, obviously, once the jar is opened, it needs to be refrigerated...

Anyway, the jam was quite thick (almost like Apple-Butter in consistency, actually) - and that's fine. It is *definitely* tasty! It is on the "sweet side" - but I don't think I'd cut back the sugar content (I think it's mostly that I am *not* accustomed to eating sugar - period!).

I think I'd add more cinnamon next time. I used 1/4 tsp - but I think 1/2 tsp would be better. I really couldn't taste the cinnamon - at all (although I think it needs to be super-subtle. But at 1/4 tsp it was pretty-much non-existent!). I think the vanilla was "right on the money." You couldn't really taste it, specifically, but I think something would have been "lacking" if I hadn't put it in...

So there's my report on the Banana Passion Fruit Jam. Abso-freaking-lutely delicious w/Peanut Butter (c'mon - just TRY and tell me you never liked Peanut Butter and Banana Sandwiches!!!).

I'm gonna call this a "QT Success!!"


No comments:

 


View my page on Meet the Phlockers