Sunday, September 30, 2012

Recipe: Creamy Roasted Tomato and Basil Soup

Yes, we went to the San Benito County Fair yesterday, and yes, I know I need to post about the final outcome of "Project Pork" (which *was* successful, and the super-rambly post is coming!) - but I am going to side-step momentarily and share a recipe that I cobbled-together today.

See?  I had a couple of bowls-full of tomatoes, sitting on the counter-top, since last weekend (when I ripped out the Finny-Farm).  We haven't been eating enough salads lately, and the 'maters were starting to go a little "soft" - too soft for salads, but still VERY edible!  And since these are, essentially, the last 'maters of the season, I couldn't bear to let them go to waste! (and - since most of 'em were salad- or cherry-sized, it didn't make sense to try to can 'em).

In the meantime, poor Hubs has developed a toothache and can't really chew anything.  Soooo...  What could be better than FRESH home-made tomato soup, right???

I started with the recipe here, but ended up veering way off track (as I am wont to do).  So here is what I ended up with:

QT's (mostly home-grown) Creamy Roasted Tomato and Basil Soup
Yield: I'd say 4 generous servings

Ingredients:

Roasty Part:

  • 2 lbs fresh, mixed tomatoes (Mine were mostly Kellogg's Breakfast and Indigo Rose, plus a handful of random salad + cherry tom's) (all from my garden!)
  • 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped (from the Organic Farm-Share)
  • 5 cloves of garlic (whole) (again, Farm-Share)
  • fresh chopped basil (appx 10 fresh leaves) (from the plant growing on my kitchen sink)
  • 1/4-1/2 cup olive oil 
  • Sprinkle or three of balsamic vinegar (mine was actually an olive oil + balsamic mix)
Soupy Part:
  • 1 (14.5 oz) can  + 8 oz.chicken or vegetable broth
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 3 TBS butter (I ended up using "Tuscan style" spreadable butter which is butter + olive oil + italian herbs.  I think plain ol butter would work just fine)
  • More fresh chopped basil (maybe 5 more leaves while simmering)
  • Whatever other herbs/seasoning you like (I used a grinder full of dried Italian Herbs)
  • Salt and Pepper to taste
  • 8 oz. cream (at the very end)
Instructions:
  1. Preheat oven to 450*F (I used my micro-convection oven)
  2. Wash, core and halve tomatoes (I ended up halving, then quartering the halves on the bigger tomatoes).
  3. Spread in a layer on a foil-lined baking sheet.
  4. Chop onion, sprinkle on top of the maters.
  5. Peel garlic cloves, place 'em, whole, on the sheet with the maters and onions.
  6. Chop 10 leaves of basil and spread over everything else.
  7. Drizzle olive oil and balsamic vinegar over that.
  8. Put in your pre-heated oven and cook appx 30 mins 'til caramelized and the edges are starting to brown (but not burn).  Took appx 35 mins in my Nuker/Convection oven.
  9. After they're well-roasted, transfer roasted veggies to a sauce-pan/stock pot.
  10. Add broth, bay leaves and butter.  
  11. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer 15-20 mins 'til reduced by appx 1/3
  12. While it's simmering, chop and add the remaining basil leaves and add seasoning to taste

After simmering:
  1. Remove bay leaves.
  2. Allow the mixture to cool, a bit, then puree it with a stick blender (or whatever you've got) 'til smooth.

Just before serving, add heavy cream and re-heat the soup (do not boil).

You can garnish it with more fresh, chopped basil, or garlicky croutons, or whatevers.

Serve and ENJOY!

This soup was FREAKING AWESOME.  I served it to hubs with a grilled-cheese sandwich b/c that is, like, the Ultimate Comfort Food when you're sick (IMHO).

Pictures:

(Sorry - no pics of the 'maters BEFORE I started this - but you know what 'maters look like!)

Sliced, diced, and ready for roasting!

And after roasting...

Starting to simmer...  Smells like YUM!

All done!

It was awesomely delicious!  And a great way to dispose of a "medium" quantity of tomatoes that might have otherwise gone to waste (Perish the thought!!!).

Yummmmmmmmmmmmm!


No comments:

 


View my page on Meet the Phlockers