Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Winter Garden: Two down... Four to go...


Well, both of the peach trees are pruned.

And our "Green Bin" is packed full of branches and limbs. I still want to keep at it, but I may have to pile up the limbs (someplace?) in the meantime. Actually, we're pretty fortunate here in that they will scoop up green waste off the street, so maybe I'll just go dump the bin and hope "Code Enforcement" doesn't slap us with a ticket (b/c Gawd-Forbid - it's not Trash Day yet!).

Yeah, so I'm about to head out and start hacking away at the Plum Trees. Or at least one of 'em!

Both of the plums are *very* healthy with tons of new growth every year. So they're gonna be a pretty big job. Yep - that'll be a "One-At-A-Time" chore!

* * * * *
Man, then I gotta tackle the raised Veggie Bed. HA! I'd deluded myself into thinking I could have cool season crops and I planted a couple of cabbages, some radishes, onion sets, garlic bulbs, and carrots. Sounds nice, right?

Yeah - and with the Wonder Weiner-Dogs - we don't have problems with gophers, rabbits, or other small critters.

What I have trouble with is the fact that the Wonder Weiners fancy themselves vegetarians!!!

Yep, over the course of the last couple of months, my little Quadrupeds have positively decimated my Winter Garden!!! I've got little trenches where my root veggies were, and little craters where my cabbages lived! Grrrrrr!!!

Funny, they really don't mess with my Summer Garden (although they have snagged their share of tomatoes - but there's enough of 'em that it doesn't bother me all that much!). I think it's because - during summer - the dogs have a lot more Supervision (since we're outside all the time!). So in winter, they're free to forage madly, I guess.

It still p*sses me off!!!

Innocent? I think NOT!!!


So - after the trees are pruned, I'll rip out what's left of the veggie garden and toss it in the compost bin. I bought newer wire fencing - where the wires are closer together. Hopefully the sneaky little buggers won't be able to get in there!!!

Okay, well, I'm off to chop down some trees!

No comments:

 


View my page on Meet the Phlockers