Saturday, December 10, 2011

Yummy Friggin' Chicken Salad

Okay, *this* post IS gonna be quick!

The other day, at the grocery store, I picked up a Garlic Rotisserie Chicken so I'd have something to nosh-on while Hubs was out of town, and I was feeling too lazy to cook.

I ate one of the breasts, then stuck it back in the fridge.

Couple days later (as the gooze was congealing into a gelatinous blob, in the bottom of the plastic container), I didn't feel much like eating it "As-Is" so I converted it to Chicken Salad. Here is what I did:

QT's Yummy Friggin' Chicken Salad
  • Most of a leftover Rotisserie Chicken (whole chicken, minus 1/2 breast)
  • 3 Celery Stalks
  • 1 Granny Smith Apple (peeled and cored)
  • 1/3 of a Medium Sweet Onion
  • 1/2 tsp Poultry Seasoning
  • 1/2 C Craisins
  • 1/4 C Honey-Roasted Almond Slivers
  • However Much Mayo it takes to make Chicken Salad
  • 1-2 tsp Splenda
  • Salt and Pepper, to taste
Chop up the celery into smallish chunks. Do the same to the onion and apple. Toss 'em into a mid-sized mixing bowl and add a couple TBS of mayo (to keep the apple from browning).

Peel the usable meat off the chicken carcass. You can either save the skin and bones to make fresh chicken stock (smart move!), or toss it (I was lazy and have about 50-bazillion gallons of canned chicken-stock in my pantry, so I - guiltily - tossed it!). Chop up the chicken meat into small chunks (1/2" or smaller). Add to the fruit/veggie/mayo mixture.

You could prob'ly "cheat" and go with canned chicken chunks - but I don't think it'd be quite as good - IMHO.

Dump the rest of the stuff in. Add more mayo, as needed, to keep it in a proper "spreadable-on-bread" consistency (without being overwhelmingly mayonnaisey). Taste it to make sure you've got everything "Just Right."

Let it "set" in the fridge for a couple of hours (better still: overnight) to let the flavors "meld."

So far, it's been absolutely STUPENDOUS on sandwiches (on fresh, home-baked bread). It's also FANTASTIC straight-out-of-the-bowl. I'm sure it would be equally-good on a salad (Oooh! With lettuce and mandarin-orange slices!), but I haven't tried it there yet (and I doubt it will last that long!!!)

Let me tell you: This recipe is positively DEEEEEEE-LISH!!! I've decided that Craisins are my new "Secret Ingredient!" They make EVERYTHING taste better!


No comments:

 


View my page on Meet the Phlockers