Saturday, December 15, 2012

Recipe: Pina Colada Jam (Super easy!!!)

Okay, so my "old" studio, Blossom Hill Crafts held their annual sale at Los Gatos History Club - just like they do every year...

And, just like every year, there was a gal selling AWESOME jams and jellies...

And, just like evey year, I spent more $$ than I should have - on home-made jams and jellies (given that I have an entire shelf-full of my OWN home-made jams!).  One of my personal favorites is Pineapple Jelly and - seriously - how difficult can that be???

Honestly, the jelly I bought was FAR too sweet - so naturally I decided I'd best make my own, right?!!

So here is what I came up with!

QT's Pina Colada Jam (decidedly different from what I bought - but tasty nonetheless!)
Yields 7 half-pint jars of jam

Ingredients:
  • 2 x 20 oz cans of crushed pineapple - IN PINEAPPLE JUICE (so that kinda limits it to name-brand Dole!)
  • 1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut (I got mine at the local health-food store - but you could probably substitute "sweetened" coconut if that's all you can find at your local grocer's)
  • 1/4 cup Torani Sugar-free Coconut Syrup
  • 2 TBS Coconut-flavored pancake syrup (Optional - we had a bottle that we'd picked-up during our last Maui vacation!)
  • 1 tsp real vanilla extract
  • 4 cups sweetener (I used C&H Light - Cane-Sugar + Stevia 50/50)
  • 7 TBS Low/No-Sugar Pectin
  • Opt salt (if it seems too sweet)
Instructions:
  1. Put your can-lids into the base of your canner with a little water and start heating them on medium low...
  2. Dump 2 cans of crushed pineapple into a large cooking pot / dutch oven
  3. Add shredded coconut, vanilla & syrups and start heating on Medium-High 'til it starts to boil
  4. Mix Pectin with appx 1 cup of sweetener.  Add to boiling liquid.
  5. Stir and add the rest of your sweetener.
  6. Give it a taste.  If it seems too sweet (mine did), add some salt.
  7. Bring to a hard boil.  Let it boil hard, stirring constantly, 'til you get a good "set" - for a minimum of one minute - (scoop a little into a spoon and place the spoon in your freezer for 5 mins to make sure it doesn't gloop off the spoon).
  8. Once you're confirmed an adequate "set" - spoon the jam into heated sterilized jars.
  9. Cap and process for 10 mins in a hot-water-bath or steam-canner...
I may, or may not, post photos later.....................................

Okay, here's a photo!


Haven't sampled it yet (except while it was cooking), but I suspect it will be delicious!

Addendum:  I opened one of the jars the next day and I think I used too much Pectin.  I'd suggest cutting it back to 5 TBS (for 2 cans of pineapple) and check for set sooner.  Also, my jam came out sweeter and more coconutty than I normally like (not sure how that happened!).  When/if I make this again, I'll probably eliminate the Torani Coconut Syrup...

Nevertheless, this jam is QUITE tasty with cottage cheese.....................




No comments:

 


View my page on Meet the Phlockers