Friday, July 1, 2011

Springy Summertime Farm-Share Salad

This week's Farm-Share Haul (and this is the *small* box!)

Okay, I still have tons going on, and a whole bunch of stuff to catch-up on, but I figured I'd keep it simple and do a "Farm Share Post." (L-A-Z-Y!)

I've had to dial-back the CSA Deliveries because we just can't seem to eat *that* many vegetables! We probably SHOULD, but we don't. Plus, my garden is coming to fruition (Gawd - More updates needed!!!) and we'll end up with veggies and fruit coming out of our ears! (Note: This weeks' farmshare included plums. My plum-tree is about ready to burst!!!)

Thank Gawd for these Forever Bags, though. They do a fantastic job of keeping the veggies from turning into a Science Project in the fridge! (No, I don't get anything for posting the link - I am just a happy customer and wanted to share!).

Anyway, we still had Baby Turnips leftover from the last delivery (as well as broccoli and cilantro and lettuce, and a few other items that not even the Forever Bags could save) (although the stuff *was* 2 weeks old!). Into the compost bin it went!

Anyway: Baby Turnips. Gotta do something with the Baby Turnips.

Then in *this* week's delivery, I also got a bunch of Baby Beets (Yum!). Surely there must be something I can do with BOTH of them, right? "Ohhhhhh Google?!!!"

Well, I found some pages that talked about how to cook 'em both, but that didn't sound very appealing. Then I found another page that talked about maybe putting them, raw, into a salad - maybe with a Lemon Vinaigrette dressing. Now that sounds interesting!

So I Googled further and looked at a whole bunch of different recipes, and thought about what-all I would want on a yummy-delicious salad (since it was lunchtime, and I was starving!).

Unfortunately, I did end up having to buy a teeeeeny bit of produce at the grocery store (:::gasp:::), but overall, I don't think I cheated too badly!

Here is what I came up with:

QT's Springy Summertime Farm-Share Salad

(Serves one - you'll need to adjust and probably tweak the ratios if you're making enough salad for a family)
First, make a bed of Greens. I decided for a 50/50 blend of "Spring Mix" (Baby Romaine, Tango and Radicchio) and Field Greens (Romaine, Endive, Carrots and Radicchio) (and Shame on ME for killing my Salad-Green Plants in the Straw-Bale Bed!!!). You could probably do just about any kind of salad greens, but I wanted the "Rabbit Food" mix!

Then shred some fresh baby turnip (I used about half a small one) and baby beet (again, about half - and it made a helluva mess!). You could use a julienne slicer or a plain ol' grater (either way, it'll be messy!). Maybe shred some more fresh carrot into that if you like. Whatever makes you happy ('cuz that's how you roll)! Toss it all together and put it in a bowl.

Then, I shredded some thinly sliced (from the Deli - Freshly Sliced - Not the pre-packaged krep!) Honey Ham and Honey Turkey. Maybe about an oz. of each. Put 'em on top of the greens.

Then I added a small handful of Feta Cheese, and maybe a couple of tablespoons of Craisins. Then a small handful of Glazed Walnuts. Oh, it looks soooo colorful and delicious!

Now for the dressing:

QT's Honey-Lime Vinaigrette
(Adapted from several different recipes so I can claim it as My Own!)

1 Tbs honey (I went a little shy of 1 Tbs)
1 Tbs Lime Juice
1 Tbs Apple Cider Vinegar
1 Tbs Light Olive Oil (Hubs got me some Super-Light stuff when he was in Italy)
1/4 tsp Dry Mustard (You could use more. I didn't)
Generous Grinding of Garlic Sea-Salt
Fresh Ground Pepper

Optional: You might want to grind in some fresh basil

Drizzle the dressing over your salad and enjoy. Seriously - enjoy it - That's an ORDER! If you don't, then there's just something wrong with you!

It was amazingly tasty! I do believe I'll be making it again!

No comments:

 


View my page on Meet the Phlockers